8cantwait is a platform that plans to reduce police violence by 72%. However, any police brutality at all is unacceptable. Instead, I urge you to support 8toabolition. This platform proposes we:
1. Defund the police.
2. Demilitarize communities. This includes disarming police officers, ending broken windows policing, precision policing, and community policy, and repeal all laws that enable police misconduct.
3. Remove police from schools. As a teacher, I have seen first hand the negative effects of the school to prison pipeline on black and brown children.
4. Free people from jails and prisons that have been wrongly convicted, or convicted for non-violent crimes. This also includes retroactively freeing black and brown people who have been imprisoned for marijuana charges in states where the drug is now legal.
5. Repeal laws that criminalize survival- including but not limited to ending all fees associated with the criminal legal process.
6. Invest in community self-governance, including community based resources and public safety approaches.
7. Provide safe housing for everyone. Cancel rent and prohibit evictions during COVID-19, repurpose empty buildings to house people experiencing homelessness, and make public housing more accessible.
8. Invest in care, not cops. Allocate city funding towards healthcare, mental health care, drug and alcohol treatment centers, teachers, counselors, and social workers.