I urge you to vote NO on SB 1457.
SB 1457 is not what Arizonans need. This bill is overly broad and harmful to not only pregnant people, but to our doctors and medical professionals who have already endured enough during this pandemic. SB 1457 would:
- Criminalize physicians that perform an abortion that is sought due to a “genetic abnormality” of the fetus;
- Discourage doctors from aborting a fetus that is not likely to survive due to fear of criminal prosecution;
- Give the same legal status and rights to fetuses as children and adults;
- Ban public organizations from contracting with abortion providers and;
- Prohibit public schools and universities from providing people referrals to abortion providers or counseling about their right to an abortion.
Arizona already has several abortion restrictions on the book. If SB 1457 passes, it will undoubtedly be challenged in court. This will cost Arizona taxpayers tens of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. This is a horrific and unnecessary use of our limited resources. These resources could instead be spent on vulnerable citizens.
As Arizona begins to heal from the aftermath of COVID-19 and the harm it has inflicted on communities, lawmakers should be focused on furthering legislation that will improve the livelihood of Arizonans.
We can do better. This type of legislation will not make the lives of Arizonans any better. I urge you to vote no on SB 1457.