Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Resistbot Action Fund (“Resistbot,” “we,” “our,” or “us”). We are an automated chatbot, managed by a group of over 100 volunteers whose mission is to improve the voter participation rate in the United States by engaging citizens year-round and delivering our will to our officials, helping us to vote, and being an ally in our fight to protect what matters to us. In order to continue to drive our mission, which requires your active participation, we want to ensure we earn and keep your trust. This includes making sure we are transparent about our data processing practices – after all, you should be in control of what happens to your personal information (yes, it is your personal information, and not ours!).
In this Privacy Notice, we explain what personal information we collect about you, and how we may use and share that information. Note that we don’t sell your personal information (and don’t intend to in the future – that’s just not what we are about). This Privacy Notice applies to our website https://resist.bot/ (the “Site”) and the Resistbot SMS service (collectively, our “Service”). We may also provide you with additional privacy notices or disclosures where the processing of your personal information would fall outside the scope of this Privacy Notice. In that case, the additional privacy notice or disclosures will govern how we may process the information you provide at that time. Please ensure that you have read this Privacy Notice and understood how we collect, store, use and disclose your personal information before accessing or using the Service.
1. What personal information do we collect and for what purpose?
Information That You Provide
We may collect personal information from you. The categories of information we collect can include:
Contact Information. We may collect personal information, such as your name, phone number, birthday, physical address, and e-mail address when you sign up for our mailing list, make a donation, use our service, or otherwise communicate with us. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service. We also use this information to communicate directly with you, such as to send SMS messages with your consent and to send you email messages. We may also send you Service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, change or updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices).
Payment Information. If you make a donation on our Site, we collect payment information and any other information provided in connection with your transaction. We use third-party payment processors to process your donations. As such, we do not retain any personally identifiable financial information such as credit card numbers. Rather, all such information is provided directly to our third-party processor. The payment processor’s use of your personal information is governed by their privacy notice. To view Stripe’s privacy notice, please visit: https://stripe.com/privacy. We use this information to process your donations.
Information Collected through the Use of the Service. We may also collect any communications, including via email and SMS/text message, between you and Resistbot, and any other information you provide to Resistbot, such as your twitter handle. Note that any messages transmitted via Resistbot may be accessible by certain third-party organizations, such as cellular networks and SMS gateway services, that may be used to transmit the messages. These organizations may have their own rules, policies, and security measures controlling who has access to messages transmitted through their services. We use this information to administer and facilitate our Service.
Inquiries and Feedback. If you contact us, we will collect the information that you provide us, such as your contact information and the contents of your communication with us. If you contact our customer support, we collect information about your device, information relating to your user support requests, and any other information you choose to provide. We use this information to effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs, and to administer our Service.
Information from Third PartiesWe may receive personal information about you from third parties and combine that with information we collect through our Service. For example, when you interact with us through a social media site or third party service, such as when you like, follow or share Resistbot content on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or other sites, we may receive information from the social network including your user ID associated with your social media account, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. We also receive personal information that you provide to us through third party sites you use to communicate with Resistbot, such as Facebook Messenger, Viber, Slack, and Telegram. The data we receive from these third-party sites is dependent upon that third party’s policies and your privacy settings on that third-party site. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to our Site or Service. We use this information to administer and facilitate our Service.
Information from Other Sources
From time to time, we may receive information about you from third parties and other users, such as your publicly available voter registration or voter history, and combine this with information previously collected. In these cases, our Privacy Notice governs the handling of the combined personal information.
2. Other uses of personal information
In addition to the uses described above, we may collect, use, process, combine, retain and store personal information and information that we collect or receive for a variety of purposes, including the following:
- For our business activities, including to operate the Service and to provide you with the features and functionality of the Service, and to authenticate your account or verify your identity;
- To verify your payment in connection with donation or other paid portions of the Service such as merchandise purchases;
- To communicate with you and respond to your requests, such as to respond to your questions, contact you about changes to the Service, and communicate about account related matters;
- For analytics and research purposes, including through the use of machine learning;
- To comply with contractual and legal obligations and requirements;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide personal information; and
- For any other lawful purpose, or other purpose that you consent to.
3. Sharing of your personal information
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Control Over Your Information” section below. Note that our Service links to various mechanisms for you to interact with Resistbot on other social media and communications platforms, such as Facebook Messenger, Slack, Telegram and Viber. Any information and content that you submit in public groups and public spaces is viewable by the public, and your use of that platform is governed by the privacy practices and policies of that social media platform.
We may share your personal information with:
- At Your Request or With Your Consent. For example, you may have the option to share your activities on Resistbot with your friends through email, text or on various social media sites. We also share information that you provide to us with third parties, at your request, such as to fill out and submit Congressional letters and web forms on your behalf, to sign petitions, or to join volunteer organizations like Swing Left.
- Within Resistbot Companies. We may share your personal information with other companies and brands owned or controlled by Resistbot, and other companies owned by or under common ownership as Resistbot, which also includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries it owns. These companies will use your personal information in the same way as we can under this Privacy Notice.
- Service Providers. We share your personal information with the third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, and which are needed for us to be able to provide our Service. These services include providing SMS messaging services, address verification services, processing payments, web hosting, or providing analytic services.
- Business Transfers. We may share your personal information with other parties in connection with a company transaction, such as a merger, sale of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party, or in the event of a bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings; and
- Anonymized Data. We may also share information with others in an aggregated or otherwise anonymized form that does not reasonably identify you directly as an individual.
We, and our third-party partners, automatically collect information about you and any computer or device you use to access the Service. Some of the information we collect, and ways we collect it, include:
- Cookies. When you use or visit the Service, we may send one or more cookies — small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer or device that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, computer, or device. A cookie may also convey other information to us, such as: your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address; unique device identifiers; your browser settings and specification; and information about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, features and functionalities you utilize, how frequently you access the Service, and other actions you take on the Service).
- Log Files. We may record log file information each time you access the Service. This information may include information such as: your requests or actions; IP address; browser type; unique device identifiers; information about your computer or device; number of clicks; how you interact with links, features, or functionalities on the Service; and other such information.
- Clear Gifs. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons or pixel tags) which may collect information about you, your computer or device such as: your requests or actions; IP address; unique device identifiers; browser type; information about your computer or device; how you interact with links, features, or functionalities of the Service; information about cookies.
- Mobile Device Information. When you access the Service with a mobile device, we may collect and store a unique identifier associated with your device (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers (“IDFA”), Google Ad ID, or Windows Advertising ID), or information about your mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, and mobile device operating system brand and model.
- Note we only use the data collected through tracking technologies to (a) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (b) monitor aggregate metrics such as service abuse and fraud (c) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (d) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Service.
- If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. You may also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our e-mail and performed certain functions with it.
5. Control over your personal information
How to control your communications preferences: You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). If you enrolled to receive SMS/text messages from Resistbot, you may unsubscribe from receiving those messages at any time by texting “STOP” to 50409 or replying “STOP” to any text message you receive from Resistbot. For help, text “HELP” to 50409 or reply “HELP” to any text message you receive from Resistbot. You consent that following such a request to unsubscribe, you may receive one final text message from Resistbot confirming your request.
Modifying or deleting your information: If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, or if you want to remove your name or comments from our Site or publicly displayed content, you can contact us directly email@example.com. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
6. How we store and protect your personal information
Data storage and transfer: The personal information we collect from or about you is stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Resistbot or its affiliates or service providers maintain facilities. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction, and you consent to the transfer of information to the U.S. or any other country in which Resistbot or its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, or service providers maintain facilities and the use and disclosure of information about you as described in this Privacy Notice.
Keeping your information safe: We care about the security of your information and employ physical, administrative, and technological safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through our Site. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
7. Children’s privacy
Resistbot does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 on this Service. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Links to other web sites and services
The Service may contain links to and from third party websites of our service providers, partners, and social media sites, and our users may post links to third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. We strongly recommend that you read their privacy policies and terms and conditions of use to understand how they collect, use, and share information.
9. How to contact us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or the website, please contact us email@example.com.
10. Changes to our privacy notice
We may modify or update this Privacy Notice from time to time to reflect the changes in our business and practices, and so you should review this page periodically. When we change the Notice in a material manner we will let you know and update the ‘last modified’ date at the bottom of this page. If you object to any changes, you may close your account. Continuing to use our Service after we publish changes to this Privacy Notice means that you are consenting to the changes.
This Privacy Notice was last modified on February 25, 2021