Ballot Measures: Michigan
Michigan has no early voting so November 6 is make-or-break for these issues
Michigan has three ballot measures up for consideration this year. Of these, two have the potential to reshape the way that elections are conducted in Michigan.
If passed, Proposal 2 would transfer the responsibility for drawing Michigan’s State Senate, State House, and US House maps from the State Legislature to an independent commission made up of 13 randomly selected registered voters.
Impact: Major — Proposal 2’s redistricting system requires bipartisanship to function and offers no fallback to the state legislature or governor. It is likely to produce fair, competitive districts.
Support: Mixed — The measure enjoys bipartisan support with a vocal minority of Republicans opposing it on the grounds that the commissioners would be “absolute neophytes… not having a clue about redistricting”
If passed, Proposal 3 would add the following eight voting policies to the state constitution
- Secret Ballot — Michigan already uses these but it strengthens the language.
- Military Ballots — Enshrines existing requirements for providing military ballots into the constitution.
- Registration (by mail) — Allows registration 15 days before the election.
- Registration (in person) — Allows registration in person through election day and allows registration at the polls.
- Straight party ticket voting — Requires that voters be allowed to vote a straight party ticket rather than having to vote for each candidate individually.
- Automatic Registration — Voter registration will be an opt-out process when applying for any state ID.
- No Excuses Absentee Voting — Allowed up to 40 days before the election.
- Results Auditing — Enshrines existing audit rules into the Constitution.
Impact: Major — Proposal 3 would give Michigan some of the most protective and inclusive voting laws in the country
Support: Bipartisan — Only a scattered few Republican holdouts are in opposition
Cast your ballot
You can’t vote via Resistbot but you can do the next best thing. Send BALLOTto the ‘bot to see a rundown of everything on your ballot. You can also send VOTE to find out where to vote and see a personalized voting checklist with everything you need to make your voice heard. You can find Resistbot on Facebook Messenger, Telegram, WhatsApp, or on Twitter via direct message. If none of those work for you, Resistbot also supports old fashioned SMS: text RESIST or one of the keywords above to 50409 to get started. It takes 2 minutes to make a difference.
Support the ’bot!
Grassroots donors are all that keep the ’bot online for the organizers that need us. Please give if you can.Give MonthlyDonate OnceSubscribe to our Pod